Gerdau | Scrap Hub App
The Scrap Hub app is a communications and logistics solution designed to reduce overall turnaround time at Gerdau’s scrap yards.
Founded in 1901 and headquartered in Brazil, Gerdau is a leading producer of long steel in the Americas. Its core business is transforming steel scrap into various steel products which it supplies to a variety of industry sectors. Gerdau approached Clearbridge Mobile to create a mobile solution that would:
Gerdau and Clearbridge Mobile partnered to create an intuitive mobile solution for the iPad that reduces overall turnaround time by improving logistics and communications at Gerdau scrap yards. The first iteration of the app provides solutions for yard inspectors and crane operators, with the driver experience on the product roadmap for future phases.
Working closely with Gerdau, we designed and developed a minimum viable product (MVP), with a prioritized product roadmap set for phased delivery using our now, next, later model. The Scrap Hub MVP addresses the major challenges of providing a better logistics tool for and improving communications between yard inspectors and crane operators, in order to reduce overall turnaround times at Gerdau scrap yards. Key features include:
- Ability for crane operators and yard inspectors to communicate and coordinate within the app
- List of all active operators and ability to sign-off on completed trucks
- View and update active queue for all truck types
- Table for all completed trucks
- Dashboard with all active trucks, active queue, tons unloaded, average unload time
- Analytics on overall turnaround time and steps included in total time (time from queue to crane, initial unload, etc).
Future phases of the app will include a driver experience, which will provide maps to show drivers where to proceed in the yard, driver’s place in the queue, alerts for when to proceed to crane operator, as well as a driver rewards program to encourage driver retention.